- 1 dozen clams, soaked and scrubbed
- 1 cod filet, cut into large chunks
- ½ lb shrimp, deveined, peeled. Peels saved.
- 4-6 large scallops
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
- fresh dill and parsley
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- In a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven, melt butter, add shrimp shells and sauté for a minute until the flavor is released.
- Add half the fennel, half the onion, garlic, fennel seed and cook until the vegetables are slightly soft.
- Stir in tomato paste, add wine and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve, then return the stock back to the pot, add the rest of the fennel and onion, potatoes and red pepper flakes. This is a good time to add salt. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Time to add seafood. Add clams, cover and cook until the shells open. Then add shrimp and stir. Gently nestle fish and scallops, cover the pot again and simmer until the fish is cooked, another 5 minutes or so. Do not stir or you will break up the fish.
- Taste for salt, add fresh herbs and serve.
Source: Olives And Garlic
Be the first to comment on "Seafood Stew Recipe"